Woodland West Arlington AARP Tax-Aide Assistance: Thu, Feb 2, 2017 - 1:00pm (Woodland West Branch Library)

Weekly every Thursday
Woodland West Branch Library Community Room
Woodland West Branch Library
2837 W Park Row
Arlington, TX 76013

AARP Tax-Aide is a free, confidential service which prepares tax returns and answers tax questions. AARP Tax-Aide volunteers will be at the Woodland West Branch from February 2, 2017, until April 13, 2017, to help low and middle-income taxpayers (with special attention to those age 60 and older) fill out their federal income tax returns. AARP Tax-Aide also provides online assistance that includes a list of frequently asked questions and a form to email questions to Tax-Aide volunteers. For more information, please contact AARP directly by calling toll-free, 1-888-AARPNOW (1-888-227-7669) or visit their website.

Tax returns will be electronically filed which promotes accuracy, safeguards information, and speeds up returns.

Please bring the following:

  • Government issued identification
  • Last year's tax return
  • Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
  • Checkbook or pre-printed direct deposit information for your reloadable prepaid card showing routing number and direct deposit account number if you want to do a direct deposit of any refund(s).


  • W-2 from each employer
  • Unemployment compensation statements
  • SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
  • 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
  • 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity, especially if you had a portion withheld for income tax purposes
  • 1099-MISC form showing any miscellaneous income

You will need to bring all forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments).

Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:

  • 1098 form showing any home mortgage interest
  • Receipts or canceled checks for medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), receipts for prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services and bills for home improvements, such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
  • Receipts for contributions to charity
  • Receipts or canceled checks for all tax income and property taxes you paid, as well as records of tax refunds


  • Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID or Social Security number)
  • Receipts, canceled checks or 1099 forms related to continuing education